Xeno Attacks: SA Ambassador urges African countries to create jobs for its citizens

Must Read

Coronavirus alert: Ghanaians advised to suspend trip to China

Ghana's Mission in China has advised Ghanaians to postpone their trips to China over the outbreak of the coronavirus. Ghana's...

Gov’t to install 10,000 CCTV’s nationwide to fight crime

The government under a nationwide surveillance program, dubbed the Alpha Project, is expected to purchase 10,000 security cameras for...

New Register Brouhaha- Yenpini demonstration underway

The biggest opposition party, the NDC is leading a coalition of like-minded opposition political parties to demonstrate through the...

The South African High Commissioner to Ghana Lulu Xingwana has advised African governments to create jobs for their citizens to discourage them from travelling to South Africa for greener pastures.

Xingwana said this Wednesday in a reaction to the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa. The attacks have left five dead in riots in Johannesburg, where foreign-owned shops were targeted on Monday—a recurrence of the 2015 attacks that left at least seven people killed.

“And this starts from poverty, all of our countries must create jobs and opportunities for their people so that we don’t all flock to one country because the one country would not be able to cope. If all of us were coming to Ghana, would you cope? Would you?” she said.

“That’s why I say it’s crime, it’s poverty, in Ghana in south Africa, in Zimbabwe, in Nigeria everywhere. And then people will leave these countries and any other country and think they can find something in South Africa,” she added.

Xingwana said it was wrong for anyone to attribute the violence being recorded in South Africa to hatred of other African nationals.

She said the attacks were not directed to foreign nationals and that it is a crime associated with poverty.

“We have a responsibility, all of us to create jobs and opportunities for our people and not look at one country to do it,” she emphasized.

READ ALSO  19-year-old Abena crowned Ghana’s Most Beautiful 2018

Meanwhile, Zimbabwe has condemned the recent xenophobic attacks in South Africa, describing it as barbaric.

“It clearly offends the spirit of African unity and solidarity as espoused by the African Union Founding fathers in Addis Ababa in 1963,” Zimbabwe’s Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa said in a statement.

According to  Mutsvangwa, the senseless orgy of violence in South Africa come at an “inopportune time when African leaders have just launched a Continent-wide Africa Free Trade Area which has opened exciting economic opportunities that facilitate free movement of capital, labour, goods and services.”

Ghana’s former President, John Mahama blamed the South African government for the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa.

Describing the attacks as heartless in a tweet Wednesday Mahama asked the South African government to assume responsibility for “these inhuman actions and implement urgent steps to prevent these attacks from recurring in the future.”

He said, “the perpetrators of these gruesome attacks are ignorant of the continental solidarity that was required to defeat apartheid and give birth to the new South African nation.”

Meanwhile, Ghana’s Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister Charles Owiredu has said no Ghanaian has so far been attacked in the xenophobic insurrection in South Africa.

READ ALSO  ECG is back as government suspends deal with PDS

He also noted there are no reports that Ghanaian-owned shops or interests have been hit in the attacks.

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Coronavirus alert: Ghanaians advised to suspend trip to China

Ghana's Mission in China has advised Ghanaians to postpone their trips to China over the outbreak of the coronavirus. Ghana's...

Gov’t to install 10,000 CCTV’s nationwide to fight crime

The government under a nationwide surveillance program, dubbed the Alpha Project, is expected to purchase 10,000 security cameras for National security operatives. Revealing details of...

New Register Brouhaha- Yenpini demonstration underway

The biggest opposition party, the NDC is leading a coalition of like-minded opposition political parties to demonstrate through the streets of Kumasi against the...

Kumasi airport to be upgraded as Ghana signs 40 m euro deal with UK

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Ghana's President Akufo-Addo are expected to sign a £40m agreement this week which will see the construction of a...

Don’t blame Gov’t for no TEWU rep on KNUST governing council – Education Ministry

The Ministry of Education have debunked claims that it is obstructing the swearing-in of a representative of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -